A List of Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies
Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are often used as investments, but there are a number of goods and services one can buy with Bitcoin.
FACT: On 22 May 2010, Laszlo Hanyecz made the first real-world Bitcoin transaction. He bought two pizzas from a Papa Johns in Jacksonville, Florida for 10,000 BTC. Five days later the price of Bitcoin grew 1000%, rising from $0.008 to $0.08 for 1 bitcoin. This is to say, yes you can spend your Bitcoin… but think twice before you do.
Without further ado, here is a list of entities that accept Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies (and thus a list of what you can buy with Bitcoin and other cryptos):
NOTE: All of this is subject to change (for example a given company could start accepting more cryptos or less). Also, clearly Bitcoin is the most commonly accepted crypto (although this too could change).
- Online Travel Sites. Expedia and CheapAir.com both accept bitcoins.
- Small businesses and internet-based business across the world. For a while it was common to accept Bitcoin in small businesses, for example in coffee shops. Today Bitcoin fees can be high and it often doesn’t make sense to accept Bitcoin. Still, some independently run small business whose owners use Bitcoin are likely to accept it as payment. Likewise, it is somewhat common for internet-based services, like premium online groups, to accept Bitcoin.
- Shopify and Square. These platforms let small business accept crypto.
- Many websites including WordPress.com, Newegg.com, Etsy.com, and Overstock.com. The founder of overstock.com is a big player in the crytpo space. He wisely realized its potential early and overstock.com has been accepting for a while. Other sites like this are also notable.
- Virgin Galactic. Richard Branson let’s you use Bitcoins to buy your way into space.
- Steam (the PC gaming service). Steam was accepting Bitcoin… but Bitcoin’s rapid rise in value caused them to pull out of that deal. It is likely they will accept another cryptocurrency moving forward.
- Gambling sites, the New York State lotto, and some Casinos (like the D). If your country/state allows gambling, then there is a good chance you can find a gambling site that lets you gamble with crypto. I don’t advise it, but it is a thing. The D in Vegas also started accepting Bitcoin in 2014. Meanwhile the Jackpocket app lets you use Bitcoin. If you are “bold” enough to gamble online… make sure to read the fine print. Sometimes the deals they offer really aren’t deals at all.
- Guns at Central Texas Gun Works. You can buy guns with Bitcoin, straight from the heart of Texas.
- Coffins at Crescent Tide Funeral & Cremation. After you are done with the guns and gambling, you might want to look into crescent Tide funereal services. They take Bitcoin too.
- Gift Cards. eGifter lets you use Bitcoin.
- Real Estate. Bitcoin is great for high ticket items. More and more people are accepting Bitcoin has payment for high ticket items like real estate.
- TV. Dish partnered with Coinbase and accepts Bitcoin.
- Anything on Ethereum’s blockchain. Ethereum is a network for decentralized applications. Any application on the network is bound to accept payments in Ether. From crypto kitties to ICOs, you can buy it with Ether.
- Any Place that Accepts Crypto Credit Cards. Essentially you can buy anything that you can buy with a credit card if you put your Bitcoin on a Bitcoin credit card like Shakepay, BitPay, or Shift Card (obviously the entity needs to accept that card; which many places will because the entities behind these include major credit card companies).
- Some restaurants. The Papa Johns noted above accepted Bitcoin once. So did a Pennsylvania Subway. So did a Burger King in the Netherlands. Yum $10 million Whopper. Totally worth every satoshi.
- Gold at JM Bullion. Ever want to trade an asset that is rapidly increasing in value into one that isn’t? Well maybe you do a hedge, and you can.
- Clothes. Bitgear accepts Bitcoin. Do you really want to spend Bitcoin on a Tshirt that says Bitcoin on it? You know you do.
- … and cryptocurrencies. One of the best things to buy with cryptocurrency is more and different cryptocurrencies. They will likely rise in value faster than a product or service.
And that is only a partial list. See the citations in the bottom for other “list of X things you can buy with Bitcoin.”
The point being, there is more than one place to spend your Bitcoin and more than one entity who accepts Bitcoin and other cryptos as payment. As digital currency grows in popularity, we can assume even more entities will start accepting cryptocurrency. We will update the list moving forward. Thanks for reading!
- History of bitcoin
- 25 things you can buy with Bitcoin
- 8 Major Retailers and Services That Accept Bitcoin
- Who Accepts Bitcoins As Payment? List of Companies, Stores, Shops From Who Accepts Bitcoins As Payment? List of Companies