Your Guide to Upcoming Bitcoin Forks December 2017 – January 2018 (and Beyond)
The following Bitcoin forks have been announced (although not every one is confirmed as legit). They are Super Bitcoin, Bitcoin Platinum, Bitcoin Cash Plus, Bitcoin Silver, Bitcoin Uranium, and Bitcoin God.
We will update the list as more occur, for now this is your guide to Bitcoin forks from December 2017 – January 2018.
To be clear, this is not a joke (and further that does say “God” and not “Gold,” there are no typos above).
These Bitcoin forks could end up not being real, but as far as we know at this point, they are real [see notes below for specifics on each coin, so far Bitcoin Platinum is rumored to be fake].
In other words, over the next month or so (December – January) there will potentially be as many as six Bitcoin forks. That means Bitcoin holders could get “free coins” six times (or if all turn out to be fake, zero times).
Each fork occurs at a block number (AKA block height). Thus, below we will list the forks and their block number alongside a short description, an approximate date when we have one, and the “official” URL (the URL of the coin or the closest thing we could find when that wasn’t an option).
Without further ado:
- Super Bitcoin (SBTC): A smart contract (like Ethereum) based Bitcoin. Block 498888. http://www.supersmartbitcoin.com/index.html.
- Bitcoin Platinum (BTP): According to the site, “Satoshi’s original vision of Decentralized Electronic Cash.” Around December 12th. Blocks 497757 / 498533. https://bitcoinplatinum.github.io/ko.html TIP: Bitcoin Platinum is rumored to be fake see: Bitcoin Platinum Created By South Korean Teenager As a Scam, Local Market Erupts.
- Bitcoin Cash Plus (BCP): According to the site, “fulfilling the original promise of Bitcoin.” Around January 2nd, 2018. Block 501407. http://www.bitcoincashplus.org/
- Bitcoin Silver (BTCS): According to a BitcoinTalk forum, the coin aims to “Make Bitcoin Decentralized Again.” Apparently it occurs “in December.” The site was up, but now its down. That doesn’t bode well. https://bitcoinsilver.io/ – so see bitcointalk.org instead – https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2311582.0.
- Bitcoin Uranium (BUM): According to a BitcoinTalk forum, the coin aims to “Make Bitcoin Great Again.” Apparently it occurs “in December.” https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2316506
- Bitcoin God: No premining, it’s apparently a Christmas Present from Chinese Angel Investor Chandler Guo. Occurs Dec. 25. https://cointelegraph.com/news/forgive-me-father-for-i-have-forked-investor-to-release-bitcoin-god
TIP: See block explorer for the current block height to get an idea when a given fork will occur.
NOTE: “Being in Bitcoin for a given fork” is sensible. You should not however try to claim or buy any of the above coins without confirmation from some major wallets or exchanges that the coin is live and stable. There is very likely to be people out there creating fake wallets, directions, buying opportunities, etc.
In other words, Super Bitcoin is the most interesting and a move toward smart contracts, Bitcoin Platinum and Bitcoin Cash Plus are both Bitcoin Cash competitors (competitors for Bitcoin as a currency), and Bitcoin Silver and Bitcoin Uranium are both Bitcoin Gold competitors (as a value store and aimed at miners), and lastly Bitcoin God is a Christmas present from Chandler Guo.
This may seem crazy, but if you think of these like user activated dividends it starts making a little bit more sense.
Make sure to be in a wallet that supports the forks (Coinomi has been good about this), an exchange like Binance with a good record of supporting forks, or otherwise in control of your private keys when the forks occur (for example in a wallet like Bitcoin Core)!
TIP: If you didn’t catch it, most of those forks have rather absurd tag lines like “make Bitcoin great again.” Now, with that said, Bitcoin Gold had such a tagline and ended up being real. Thus, be skeptical, but be prepared in case some of these do end up being actual forks.
More than just the forks: Bitcoin United is another potential Bitcoin product (of sorts). It isn’t clear if this project is a fork or is an attempt to create another coin. It seems to have two associated URLs http://united-bitcoin.com/ and http://www.ub.com/ (this however is not the same as https://unitedbitcoin.net/). It is unclear which if any is “the official link.” The problem with this project is that it has been in the works for a while, and it hasn’t become any clearer if it is legit or not. See an article from July: What Is Bitcoin United and Should You Trust It? Not much has changed since July.
NOTE: Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, and Bitcoin Diamond forks all occurred. Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Gold ended up being real. Bitcoin Diamond the verdict is still out on. People dismissed Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Gold before they occurred, it is easy to be dismissive, but its far safer assume the forks are real (and thus to be careful sending Bitcoins after they occur and to make sure you are in Bitcoin before the fork).
"Upcoming Bitcoin Forks 2017 – 2018" contains information about the following Cryptocurrencies: